Microsoft has already started offering automatic updates from Skype for Business Online to Microsoft Teams for their direct customers. administrators will be given advanced notice via email and through the Office 365 Message Centre.
And this morning November 6. we got the upgrade message on our own tenant.
- Organizations below 500 employees who are currently looking to deploy Skype for Business Online will now only be able to deploy Teams.
- Any organization currently on Skype for Business Online (without Enterprise Voice) can continue using Skype for Business. However, starting November 1st, these organizations will be upgraded to Teams over the coming months.
- Organizations not interested in automatically upgrading can contact support on how to disable or postpone the upgrade.
- Organizations currently on Skype for Business Online with Enterprise Voice functionality can continue using Skype for Business, these organizations will not be moved to Teams starting November 1.
- Organizations over 500 employees currently looking to deploy Skype for Business Online will still be able to but may want to consider Teams as it will eventually be the primary communications tool in Office 365.
- Define the people that need to be involved in planning and executing the upgrade.
- Define the scope, timeline and key success factors.
- Ensuring technical readiness – both on endpoints and on your corp network
- End-user readiness – training and awareness.
- Executing the upgrade steps in a controlled matter
- Measure your KPI’s on usage, performance and user involvement.